Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Mama's and The Papa's

So we attended a Gladys Knight concert on Saturday. WOW!!! She was fantastic, funny, inspirational, ... Her husband was there and spoke at one point, what a crack up!!! It was such a wonderful experience! She has a choir that goes from venue to venue called Saints Unified Voices. They are non-profit and boy do they have voices! They have a CD out called "One Voice" (I think that's the name). Anyway, I'm going to look for it. We had a wonderful dinner at Texas Roadhouse after. Amazing that after nearly 13 years, we still have things to talk about. We ate way too much and brought home yummy leftovers.

So here is what I'm doing right now... I am keeping a log of my eating and calories because I am not losing weight even though I work out at the gym three days a week (SERIOUS workout) and walk six days a week. My trainer says the only other reason I wouldn't be losing this weight is because of diet. By the way, even my trainer says that the weight I'm able to work with is impressive and I could definitely kick some serious @#$^%!!. So here's the rub ... I like food! On a cold, overcast day, there is nothing more comforting in the world as eating toast drizzled with honey in front of the fire. I like grilled cheese sandwiches and pickle spears for lunch. I LOVE Ceasar salads (which I have discovered are the worst salad to like because Ceasar dressing is the most calorie laden dressing around). There's nothing better than knowing your going to have a red face because you have a piled high plate of spaghetti in front of you, and you know what, I'll take the red face anytime rather than avoid spaghetti. I love the warmth of Mexican food resting in my gullet as it makes its leisurely way through my intestines. I love a honey glazed ham with a GIANT glob of applesauce and I wouldn't be a Flint (maiden name) if I didn't adore mashed potatoes (minus the gravy). I wouldn't be a Thompson if I didn't love Hawaiian Sweet Rolls.

When we have guests over, I look forward to planning the menus. I spend tons of time and enjoy every minute of it figuring out what to make and which recipes to try. Holiday meals are a splendid treat for me to organize. Although, with all our extended family out of state, the last several have been pretty standard and BORING!!!

So after seeing what I CAN eat and how long it takes to prepare, I'm inclined to think that being overweight isn't so bad after all. Don't freak out and get up on your high horse just yet, I'm not giving up ... I will try to contain my caloric intake to 1500 a day, but dang it ... This SUCKS! There is no joy in eating this way.

4 comments:

marianne said...

I am proud of you for working so hard at it. Dish up whatever you would normally eat and then put 1/2 of it in the refrigerator for the boys. That way you are only getting 1/2 the calories, eating everything you love and not having to count anything. Soon your stomach will shrink and it will be plenty. It will work.

Chrystalee said...

Thanks for the encouragement, mom. I know that what I'm struggling with now will be beneficial for not only me in the future, but for the kids also. I love you and appreciate all you do and teach me!!!!

Liz said...

I'm proud of you too. It had to come from within to stick with it and you have the fire under you. One thing Taylor and I enjoy while dieting which we are doing. Taylor better then me is we found 100 calorie desserts with chocolate. It is a nice way to keep to your calories and enjoying the sweet stuff.

Amanda said...

man...I understand! I love the food:) Especially the sweets! I agree with your other posters moderation is the key...and to eat SLOW and enjoy every bite. Which is REALLY hard!!!! Way to go just for working out! That is half the battle!