Wednesday, June 4, 2008

7 Quirks ...

Shahna, this is for you. Thanks for the tag ... : )

1. My OCD consists of numbers. I count for no reason. Half the time I don't even realize I'm doing it until I'm around 67 or so. Then I try to remember what it was that set me off. I'm most often counting in the car as I drive. I count when I walk, when I do just about anything. I even count in my head when I'm talking to someone. Sorry if any of you have suddenly found me losing the thread of the conversation because I lost track of what number I was on.

2. I like the feel of tape as it pulls on my skin. For different gift occasions, my husband has been known to buy me a box of scotch tape. And I'm particular about the type I like. It has to be the Scotch Tape brand. It's the stickiest.

3. I have horrible stage fright! I can't control my heart, my knees shake and worst of all, my face starts to convulse. It only happens when I play the flute or sing, which is ridiculous because I've had training in these two instruments and have been performing nearly all my life in front of audiences. On the other hand, it doesn't faze me at all to play the piano. This is even crazier since I've never been trained on the piano. Maybe it's because I'm okay not knowing what I'm doing and figure the audience should be happy with whatever comes out as they're lucky to be getting anything from me in the first place. Whereas, I know what I'm doing on the flute and singing and I cringe and berate myself with every mistake. Who knows.

4. I don't like to hear noise. I don't like the radio on in the car (unless it a CD of my choosing), I don't like the TV on at all. I don't like any man-made sound ... except the tick of a clock. I know it's strange for that to be the only extra sound I like but there you go, one of my quirks.

5. I don't like to talk in the morning, or to be talked to. I used to be a morning person, and I still get up and start my day early, but now, instead of singing or chatting, I prefer silence. I need a good 30 minutes before I'm up to any kind of conversation.

6. I hate breakfast food. I'm not even partial to eating at that time, however I understand the importance of that particular meal. I force myself to eat in the morning, but you won't find typical breakfast food on my plate.

7. I can't expose myself to just anything media wise. I am too easily involved. I can be watching something I would normally never even think twice about, such as rowing, and just like that I'm screaming at the TV for one of the teams to push harder and win. I can't watch or read anything to do with kids because, although most of you know I don't even like kids so this is really weird, I empathize too much and am depressed for days afterward. There was this once when Scott and I were watching a movie with our best friend, Brandon, and suddenly Scott grabbed me and I stood up at the same time and rushed from the room because this little boy was drowning. It took a really long time for me to get over that and Scott and Brandon kept apologizing for letting me see. (Ray - the name of the movie) I can't listen to just anything, because I feel it too much. It enters my soul and changes me. Sometimes, I'm fine with the music because it's soothing but there is so much out there that changes me for the worse. I have to be VERY picky about the exposure I allow myself.

And for a bonus - because you all know that I am definitely weird and have soooo many quirks ...

8. I hate movie theaters. I don't like to think of the people in them. I don't like the volume of the sound in them. I despise the PRICE of them. I would rather watch in the comfort of my own home where I can pause to go to the bathroom, and pay pennies for a treat from the grocery store instead of the exorbitant amount at the theater.

9. I don't like crowds. I'm fine with small groups or one on one, but mass chaos just makes me angry. I don't go to the mall ever, or shopping around Christmas time. (I do my Christmas shopping months in advance.) My preferred time to shop at Walmart is at 2am because there are fewer people there.

And finally ...

10. I talk big, but I am the most un-confrontational person I know. It takes ALOT to rile me up enough for me to speak out. Usually, I do because it is affecting one of my family. DON'T MESS WITH MY FAMILY!!! I'll vent and rage in private, but when it comes right down to it, I'd rather hide in a corner because I want everyone to be happy, even if it's at my expense. Lookie there, you got two for the price of one. I am a pleaser. It's both good and bad. Please don't abuse this, eventually I'll get riled enough that you'll be sorry. (BTY - when I do speak up, watch out! I'm very good at confrontation when it finally occurs.)

6 comments:

shahna said...

You are soooo interesting. Quirky, yes. But very very interesting! (A a great workout partner.)Have a great day!

The A Team said...

i count too. i even count my bites and like to make sure they're even on both sides on my mouth by the end of the meal.

Chrystalee said...

Why is it that we are so ... quirky? I can only eat snacks in even numbers and if I have an odd man out in my hand, Scott eats it, regardless of the fact that I could just reach into the bag and pull out another to make it even. It's a major dose of OCD!!! : )

Kendra said...

I add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers on digital clocks to get sequential numbers and see how high I can get before the time changes...uh did I just admit that.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your quirks, now I understand why you wanted to see Twilight when it comes out on DVD. I like to shop late at night too. I drove to seminary (30 minute away) for 3 years, and there was one rule in the car, NO TALKING! morning, ugh.

Scott & Annedria said...

So I to count but even worse I sing songs in my head but repeat the same line over and over and when I finally realize I'm doing it it drives me crazy ugh. I also don't like to be talked to or talk in the morning but I've been like that forever, you probably remember that.

ChellaJ [Rachelle] said...

The counting thing is cracking me up. And I don't understand the flute or singing thing...because I have heard you and your good.

YOur definately quirky...but that's a good thing.