Thursday, March 6, 2008

Parent's News

So Scott decided that it was finally time to hang the chandelier that has been sitting in our garage for the past two months. I'm pretty sure he thought it would be a short, simple task and would make me happy and give him some well earned Scott time. Unfortunately, nothing around here is ever a short, simple task. He needed to take down the chandelier above the dining room table, install the new chandelier, move the old chandelier to the breakfast nook after taking that chandelier down. Then take down the hideous light fixture above the sink and install the old breakfast nook chandelier above the sink. He had to play ring-around-the-rosy with six light fixtures. Poor guy! What looked initially like a 20 min. deal, didn't get finished until the early morning hours of Sunday. What a trooper!! (Of course, I still don't have any light in the breakfast nook because he took those light bulbs and put them in the dining room fixture and now we need to buy some more bulbs to put in the breakfast nook fixture.)

So do you think he's going to be thrilled this Saturday when I suggest we take the attic grates that have been sitting in the garage for the last three months and install them in the attic so we can then move everything up there that is now making it almost impossible to walk through the garage?

Kreg (Love), if you are reading this, you told us during one of our moves that we had too much "stuff". Well, YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!! I'm being drowned in "stuff" and I'm looking for a life raft. If anyone feels inclined, please refer me to "Clean Sweep"!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As most people are, we too are budget followers. I can't say that I like it, but at least it keeps food on the table. Well, trying to be a good, little : ), "Mormon-y" wife, I figured out that to keep within the $200 gas budget for our gas guzzler (I know that sounds like a lot for gas but it doesn't go very far with prices above $3 a gallon and getting only 18 miles to the gallon), I could only drive 1100 miles during the month. Again, I know this sounds like a lot of miles, but we live out in the country and to get to town is anywhere from 13 to 20 miles one way. I have a mandatory 5 round trips I make each week and that doesn't include any errands that may need to be done or any extras for the kids like playgroup or new reeds, etc. So I try to do everything on Wednesday and save my miles so they last for the whole month. Well, yesterday, I drove 89.3 miles in total. I can only afford 11 days like that a month!! What sane person drives nearly 100 miles in a day?!?!? So here is what I'm saying ... for those of you that live inside a nice, smoggy, populated, store or church or gas station on every corner, public transportation providing metroplex, LIVE IT UP because ... you could be living in a country open , family oriented, prayer speaking, clean air, small town and only be able to run errands four times a month.

Hmm, did I mention that I can learn to like a budget?

7 comments:

Taylor.Flint said...

That's funny every day I drive 60 miles to get to and from work so i think that every once in a while I drive over 100 miles in a day. Take for instance Tuesdays I drive to work 30 miles I drive home from work 30 miles and then I drive into town to play softball which is... hold on a sec I have to go to google maps to figure out the milage... ok here we go it is 47.5 miles one way to where I play so, times that by 2, for there and back. Total I drive 155 miles on Tuesdays. Man I really shouldn't have thought about that. Pay no attention to this Honey. I love you for letting me play softball! It is time to get out of Maricopa and back into the Big city!

Chrystalee said...

Ok, so you gave me my first laugh of the day!!!! Yeah, I can't complain!

The A Team said...

if you figure out how to get de-cluttered, let me know. my garage looks like the place boxes have gone to die...

p.s. kudos on the new light fixture!

Liz said...

I knew he drove a lot, but I didn't know it was that much. Chrystalee, I think that is great that you budget your miles. You'll have to show me sometime. Just not now because I don't think we would be driving anywhere.

Gary Church said...

I want to see the chandelier!

Gary Church said...

And I write the word for 'fine, good, yes ...' as 'okay', but that option is listed. lol.

THE HAYNES FAMILY said...

I feel your pain! Living in the absolute middle of nowhere in a town the size of my highschool (okay, our town is a bit bigger, but not by much), I know all about driving and not having enough gas money. It is 32 miles to church, which is also where Activity Day and Young Women's is, so that is 64 miles on Sunday and Wednesday. This is also where Walmart is for shopping, so we try to fit shopping into the 1.5 hours of Wednesday night. Stake Saturday, meetings and Stake conference is 90 miles away, which also means stake youth activities, which means 180 mile drive every other month. It is 60 miles north for Sam's club, a three hour drive to the temple and so on and so forth.
The lucky part is it is only 2 blocks to the kids school and a mile to Vern's work, so it balances out. Don't ask me about going out to dinner....
Love, The Haynes