Saturday, January 13, 2024

Scripture Study - Enlightenment

 1/12/24 - Enlighten

And the light which shineth, which giveth you light, is through him who enlighteneth (light of Christ) your eyes, which is the same light that quickeneth your understanding; which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space - The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things, which is the law by which all things are governed, even the power of God who sitteth upon his throne, who is in the bosom of eternity, who is in the midst of all things. (D&C 88:11-13)

For thou wilt light my candles (lamp): the Lord my God will enlighten (clarify) my darkness. (Ps. 18:28) ... thou hast enquired of me and I did enlighten (truthful knowledge) thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth; (D&C 6:15) The eyes of your understanding being enlightened (education), that ye may know ... (Eph. 1:18) And the Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth (intelligence) every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit. (D&C 84:46)

... It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten (discernment) my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me. (Alma 32:28) Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten (inspire) your minds, which shall fill your soul with joy; (D&C 11:13) For by my Spirit will I enlighten (testimony) them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my will - yea, even those things which eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man. (D&C 76:10) The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statues of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening (edifying) the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. (Ps. 19:7-9)

... wherefore he put forth the end of the rod that was in his hand, and dipped it in an honeycomb, and put his hand to his mouth; and his eyes were enlightened (refreshed). (1 Sam. 14:27)


Insights: Light and enlightenment comes from God. Evil cannot provide light, only darkness, so when we have light, we can know it is from God. We are all entitled to that light, as it is in all - even God himself. It is through the Spirit that the physical manifestations of enlightment come. This can include clarification when we have questions, truthful knowledge when we are confused, education when we are seeking, and intelligence on how to use the knowledge we receive. It also gives us discernment when there are more than one option - both between a good and bad option, as well as between two or more good options. To be enlightened by the Spirit inspires us, builds our testimonies, and edifies, or builds us up. But perhaps most surprising and most needed right now for me about enlightment is the ability to refresh. This time we have been living through has been unlike any other with a global pandemic, wars, global ecological mayhem, and the fear, aggression, and hopelessness that have ensued. It's taken a toll on me, and most likely on everyone else around the world. We are not the same people that we were only 5 years ago and my spirit has been dragging from it. Even though I know that God can do all things, I am excited to pray for that refreshment - to know that it is a form of enlightenment. I challenge you to pray for and seek enlightment in your life even as I do the same!

No comments: