Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Catch Me If You Can - Newport Beach

The reason for this trip was the celebration of my dad's 60th birthday. He wanted to celebrate at Disneyland, and frankly, I think ALL celebrations should happen in the Magic Kingdom!!!! I was MORE THAN HAPPY to celebrate with him there!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD!!!

So we rode caravan style to CA and settled into our respective places of pillows. (I say respective with tongue in cheek. Ours was a pretty sleazy establishment, but it was right across the street from Disneyland so we didn't mind.)

We decided to spend the first afternoon at the beach. Landon and Ryleigh had never been to the ocean before so I was very excited to introduce them to it.

We set up about 10 feet above the high water mark and immediately ran to jump into the FREEZING water. After getting sucked down VERY hard by the undertow and holding Ryleigh up so she could breath, Landon, Ryleigh and I decided it was probably better to play in the middle area building sandcastles. Between the high water mark and where the water was actually coming up to, there was an area of probably 30 feet that was perfect for our castles.

Suddenly, a ginormous wave crashed onto the beach, destroying our castle and continuing another 15 feet above the high water mark. I saved what I could but Colbey's texting devise was destroyed. That ended the afternoon at the beach.

I did get to chat with a couple of women there and when they found out it was the younger two's first visit to the beach, they became very dismayed and explained that it was an unusually rough day there. Oh well, at least we can say we rollicked at Newport Beach.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I'm loving the updates and pictures. Keep them coming!!!!