Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Dilemma - A General Whine Session

Here is what's going on. I had a miserable turn out at the Chili Cook Off for the community last weekend. When I say miserable, I mean absolutely no one, not even the people who RSVP'd to bring chili, showed. Not even one person from the Advisory Committee could spare 5 minutes to make an appearance except Sharon to drop off some containers before it started and pick them up again at the end.

So here's where my head is leaning towards. I think I want to resign from the Advisory Committee. I've been unhappy with the workings (or lack of) with the management company and the general sense of turning in circles. Just when I think we should be making headway, someone decides to change the rules and we start from scratch all over again. People don't follow through with what they have committed to do and I'm tired of having to literally drag anything into fruition.

I am still waiting for reimbursement for nearly $1100.00. I've been waiting for a number of weeks. I used cash so as not to incur interest expenses which turns out to have been smart as the interest would still be accruing. Tick, tock, tick, tock. This money is from my Christmas fund and our meager savings account so until that check arrives, Christmas is on hold for our family. And if any of you know me, I like to be done by Thanksgiving.

I've been wanting to leave the committee for the last year and a half and if I hadn't felt a real sense of duty and commitment to this community, I would have walked away after my first year.

One of the committee members knows how I feel and has asked me to keep on going as this is my first flop, but I'm tired of the stress and the time it takes away from my family and home. I'm tired of the immense work it takes to get anything done. I'm tired of not being appreciated for the work that I put in, for the 100's of hours I've been donating each month to this community. I'm tired of looking at my "to do" list getting ever longer with little hope of catching up on it while my time is being dedicated to this community. And frankly, I'm tired of the other committee members questioning my decisions about my budget when they aren't willing to step up and participate in the planning process and implementation.

So what do you think I should do? Keep plugging it out until January of 2010 (that's when this session is scheduled to conclude), or resign now? And if I resign now, is that considered failure?

Leave a comment and vote on the poll!!!!

13 comments:

Amanda said...

It is not failure! I don't know much about this neighborhood stuff.....but If I didn't get my Christmas $$$$ back soon I would be VERY upset!

AnoelleB said...

NOT failure. Put it in an eternal perspective: Will quitting a neghborhood committee to free up family and home time hurt or help your progression toward your LOOOOONG term goals?

Dustin and Katie Lowe said...

You have given it your best and obviously there are some people who are not appreciative of that. Being stressed out due to your involvement is not benefitting you or your family. After all, they are your number one priority. I think you should resign now while you still have your sanity.

Scott & Annedria said...

I say GIVE IT UP!!! It's only hurting you and not making you a better person. It's not failure, you've been in there for sooo long, way to long. You've done your time and deserve a break (a long one). I say resign and then do something to pamper yourself, you deserve that also!!

shahna said...

Read Amy B's comments. Ditto from me. :O)

Elizabeth Flint said...

I also think you should resign. Spend that time with the ones who do appreciate you...your family!

Lisa said...

My vote is to leave if it is taking away from your family.

Amber Hooten said...

We did get your invitation. The girls and i will be here so we will be able to come! Yeah! Are you available to help me do some stuff around the house like packing?

Gary Church said...

I would have come if you'd invited me :D. Sorry about the terrible 'turn-out'.

I haven't been by your blog for ages ... I have to catch up now.

AND, that wasn't soda pop in my pantry ... it's our ghetto water storage, LOL. It took us a couple years to use all those 2 liters and refill them with water. lol.

Chrystalee said...

You crack me up, Janette!!! I love your ghetto water storage! And Amber, let me know when you could use me and I'll see what the schedule looks like. : )

THE HAYNES FAMILY said...

I say enough is enough. There are other opportunities where your tallents can be used. Resign, move on and be happier. It seems like this has made you unhappy for a while and from your posts you have felt like you should resign for a while. Listen to those feelings. Sometimes the boat is simply sinking. It may be that you can walk on water (you know, faith and all) but you can't toe the boat behind you. Walk away, be happy with what you have accomplished.
My love!!!

Chrystalee said...

I love you Chantel!!

Rogers Family said...

Chrystalee,
Het girl. I think you should do whatever the spirit tells you to do. However, i do know how important this time of year is to you and your family. I'm not sure if the stress is really worth it. Focus on what really matters, your husband and kids. They are the one's who need you most. You are an awesome mom. Hope that helps you.
Stacey Rogers