Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Scripture Study in 2024 - Begin/Beginning

 Each year, I try to do something new with my scripture study so that I am able to have different emphasis and insight brought to my mind. This year, along with my weekly Come Follow Me scripture study (which I will be doing on Sunday's), I've decided to study by topic. I've chosen a handful of topics for each week of the year and the plan is to read all the verses I can find which include this topic in all the books of scripture.

I am a big proponent of writing down your insights as you study. Not only does that help cement these into your minds, but then there is a record for you to look back on and be reminded of what was important to you at that particular time. The scriptures are magical and you will find exactly what you need each time you read them. You may read the same verse a dozen times and find a dozen different meanings from it. The Lord brings to mind what you need at the moment. I love the scriptures for that!

I am keeping a record of my insights for 2024 written down, but I feel impressed to also put them here for posterity. So let me begin...


1/2/24 – Begin/Beginning:

In the beginning was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (John 1:1) I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. (Rev. 1:8) … I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. (Rev. 21:6) And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go froth, saith the Lord: (D&C 112:25) Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not create or made, neither indeed can be. (D&C 93:29) … God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief on the truth: (2 Thes. 2:13) The fear (reverence) of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. (Prov. 1:7) … a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it. (2 John 1:5-6) Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof; and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit. (Eccl. 7:8)

Insights: Christ and Heavenly Father are one in purpose and are the beginning of all things pertaining to this life. They have all knowledge and power. But we were also in the beginning as intelligences, or the light of truth, and they want to share all that they have with us. They chose us to be with them and we grow into this right through understanding and obedience to the laws of Heaven. The first law being to love – God, and ourselves, and others. As we are able to abide in this first law, all others will be fulfilled because we will want to follow them due to our love for God. We are not expected to be perfect from the start, but will get better and better, purer and more perfect, over time.

No comments: